Preventive health is more than a single challenge; it is a series of several challenges including improving and providing health programs, collaboration within the community, and changing harmful behaviors. The purpose of this conference is to provide a forum for exchange of information focusing on Preventing Health issues in Indian Country. Collaboration among behavioral Mental Health and Substance Abuse professionals, state and local community partners, Tribal and Native agencies, and educational resources will address and discuss promising programs and successful measures currently being used. Participants will emerge from the conference equipped with culturally sensitive strategies, educational programs, resources, skills and training to implement and participate in Preventive Behavioral Health programs and collaborations.
- Learn about prevention programs and strategies that are being implemented within Indian Country
- Discuss and explore measurements within prevention programs working efficiently and effectively
- Strengthen collaboration connections among prevention programs and agencies throughout Indian Country
The conference is designed for social workers, educators, counselors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, traditional service providers, community health representatives, general community, peace officers, and all other interested persons.
Agenda: IHS Empowering the Community through Prevention conference >
For more information, contact Virginia Uzendoski at e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: (402) 472-9334.
Rushmore Holiday Inn Hotel & Convention Center
505 North Fifth St.
Rapid City, South Dakota 57701
(605) 348-4000 or (888) 465-4329
Get Travel Directions >
Visiting Rapid City >
You'll enjoy a comfortable stay at Rushmore Plaza Holiday Inn Hotel & Convention Center in Rapid City, South Dakota. Each guest room features quality amenities with free high-speed Internet access, a TV with HBO, a spacious work desk and free local calling.
A block of single/double occupancy rooms are reserved at the conference rate of $77.00 plus applicable tax of 8.5% and $2.00 Occupancy tax. Check about additional charges for each additional person, and a maximum number of people per room. Check in time is 4:00 pm and checkout time is 12:00 pm.
These specially-priced rooms will sell out quickly so reserve them now by calling (605) 348-4000 for reservations. The CODE is "IHS" for the special rate.
Attendees will make accommodations on their own and be responsible for their own charges.
Continuing Education Hours - Professional Development
For the 3 day conference, Empowering the Community through Prevention, all participants will receive a Certificate of Attendance. We anticipate 14-17 CEU hours of training. Professional CEU approvals are pending. CEU hours may vary by awarding agencies. If you have questions about available CEUs for your profession, please contact us. Check back here for updates. Thank you.
Ethics Seminar and continuing education hours:
- American Psychological Association continuing education hours for psychologists will be only available for the special Monday, April 29, Ethics Seminar (3 hrs)
- Certificates of Attendance will be provided for all attendees
- Other Behavioral Health Professional CEU approvals are pending; CEU hours may vary by awarding agencies<
|Online registration opens March 11, 2013 |
|Online registration closes April 24, 2013 * |
Online Registration requires a valid e-mail address to receive confirmation and invoice.
* After April 24, please call Virginia Uzendoski at (402) 472-9334 if you wish to register.
IMPORTANT: This is NOT the registration for the American Indian Veteran Symposium. Contact Peter Vicaire at Peter.Vicaire@va.gov if you are interested in the American Indian Veteran Symposium.
Tribal, Private, Professional & Federal Employees outside of the Aberdeen Area IHS:
- Full 3-day registration fee is $249
- The 3-day registration fee will include attendance to all 3 days of programs, breaks, and a conference t-shirt
Federal Employees in the Aberdeen Area IHS with a valid @ihs.gov e-mail:
- Registration fee will be waived for Federal Employees in the Aberdeen Area IHS with a valid @ihs.gov e-mail
- The 3-day registration will include attendance to all 3 days of programs, breaks, and a conference t-shirt
We accept VISA, MasterCard, American Express, Purchase Orders, and Checks. If paying by Purchase Order or Check, please make payable to: The University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
You will receive an e-mail confirmation notification immediately after completing your online registration. If you do not receive this confirmation notice then you are NOT registered for this conference. Please contact us.
Multiple registrations from the same office: If you have multiple individuals to register from the same office, a multiple registration form is available for you to complete. You may use the Multiple Registration Form for individual registration as well. You can e-mail, fax, or mail the completed form back to us. Note: an e-mail address is still necessary for each individual for CEU purposes. Access the Multiple Registration Form >
PDF Registration Form Submission Policies:
- If you are using the free Adobe Reader software and choose to complete the form digitally, you will not be able to save your form with digitally-entered information. However, you can print a hard copy of the completed form before closing the file (it is wise to make two copies; one to submit and one for your own records).
- If you are using a more advanced version of Adobe PDF-reading software, such as Adobe Acrobat Professional, you are able to save your form with digitally-entered information. If this is the case, before closing the document, be sure to save a digital copy by choosing the "Save As" option and naming the PDF something unique, such as "registration" and finally save it to your local drive. Print a hard copy of your completed form as a back-up option.
- For your security, we do not accept e-mail submission of credit card information. Please choose another way to submit your form and payment if using a credit card.
- E-mail, fax, call, stop by, or postal mail your registration form. The contact info is located on the form.
Please use our comment section at the end of your registration for any special dietary or accessibility requirements.
If you register but cannot attend, call (402) 472-9334. Cancellations will be accepted until one week prior and registration fees will be refunded, less a $50 processing fee. No refund requests will be accepted within one week prior to the event. A substitute may attend in your place (please contact us and provide the name of the substitute).
Call (402) 472-9334 or e-mail Virginia (email@example.com)
Registration Fax: (402) 472-4345
Presentation - Dancing Along the Fringe: Managing Ethical Dilemmas and Challenges in Psychological Practice Within Tribal Communities
3.0 American Psychological Association (APA) Continuing Education Hours
|What: ||Special Ethics Seminar |
|When: ||Monday, April 29, 2013 |
|Where: ||Rushmore Holiday Inn Hotel - Rapid City, SD |
|Register: ||Complete & submit the Special Ethics Seminar form * |
* Please refer to the "PDF Registration Form Submission Policies" section on the Registration tab before completing this form. Special Ethics Seminar Agenda >
This workshop will examine the “Ethical Principles of Psychologists and Code of Conduct,” as established by the American Psychological Association (APA) through the lens of practicing psychology within tribal communities, with particular attention given to contemporary and historical issues as they affect and impact American Indians and Alaska Natives. The workshop will engage participants in interactive exercises (e.g., present case examples/vignettes, etc.) designed to help participants apply the principles and codes of professional psychological practice to their work within tribal communities.
- Provide an overview of the APA Ethical Principles for Psychologist and the Code of Conduct
- Provide an overview of major ethical dilemmas and challenges as it applies to the practice of clinical psychology in tribal communities through a historical lens
- Provide guidelines and recommendations for managing ethics issues in tribal communities in a culturally-respectful and responsive manner
How to Register
Important Registration Information!
If you have already registered for the Empowering the Community through Prevention Conference, the fee you paid for that conference includes the Special Ethics Seminar as well – BUT YOU STILL MUST REGISTER WITH VIRGINIA for the Ethics Seminar in order for us to provide printed materials and reserve your space.
IF YOU ARE NOT ATTENDING THE APRIL 30-MAY 2 CONFERENCE, the fee to attend the Special Ethics Seminar is $129.00 which includes the APA continuing education hours professional filing fee and all other continuing education hours from other professional organizations (see list under CEUs on website). Download the Ethics Registration form and email firstname.lastname@example.org or fax form to (402) 472-7896 (Attach form)
NO WALK-INS will be accepted due to printed materials.
General Information: I need to be able to take calls while I'm at the seminar. Is there a problem if I bring a cell phone or pager?
Please respect other attendees and the speakers. We encourage you to put your cell phones on vibrate.
Are my personal belongings safe in the meeting room during lunch breaks and overnight?
No. It is best not to leave personal belongings unattended in meeting rooms during lunch breaks or overnight. The conference organizers and Rushmore Plaza Holiday Inn Hotel will not be held responsible for items left unattended.
What do I need to bring?
It is advisable to bring along writing implements and note paper. While every effort is made to have the meeting space comfortable for everyone, it is always a good idea to bring a light jacket or sweater along for comfort.
I'm in a wheelchair (or have other special needs). How do I arrange for assistance at the seminar?
If you need special accommodations or have special requests, please advise us when you register in the Comment Section or e-mail Virginia.
Registration Process: Is using the online registration secure?
Yes, payment is completed through a secure site at the University of Nebraska–Lincoln.
How is the registration confirmed?
If you register online, a confirmation e-mail will be sent to you immediately. If you register by phone, e-mail or fax, a confirmation e-mail will follow within five business days of receipt of registration. If you register by mail, a confirmation e-mail will follow within 10 business days of receipt of registration.
Must I pre-register?
We recommend pre-registration to ensure availability of space and materials.
How will the charge for the conference appear on my credit card?
The charge will appear as "University of Nebraska."
Can another person from my office go in my place?
Transfer of a paid registration to another person is permissible. E-mail Virginia to change the registration.
What if I have to cancel my registration?
If you register but cannot attend, you may transfer your registration fee to a colleague or request a refund. Cancellations will be accepted 14 days prior to your scheduled conference and registration fees will be refunded, less a $50.00 processing fee. No refund request will be accepted after the conference. Cancellation can be made by sending an e-mail to Virginia.
Will I receive Continuing Education Credits (CEUs)?
Continuing Education Credits are pending.
When will I receive my CEU certificate?
- The Special Ethics APA CEU’s will be handed out after the workshop.
- All other CEU certificates will be e-mailed as PDFs to attendees – it is important that you provide a working e-mail address or fax number in order to receive the certificate.